• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

engine tach housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennj3

Reaction score
I really do not sit up days trying to think of things I need help with. Having any plane much less a flying cub requires time and work. Having this site is a lot like having a brother that knows more than you do about everything! Listening to some of the barking about cubs being rebuilt, who has the best one etc, even sounds like a typical loving family.
Now to my newest problem; I replaced the cylinder "O" ring today. That was one of two oil leaks. When I checked for oil leaks after replacing the "O" ring, I found a big oil leak around the tachometer housing. Checked the tightness of the three nuts, one would not tighten. After working with it, I found the stud had stripped the engine threads, not the stud threads.
# 1, I think the stud hole goes strait into the engine (in other words, the hole is open so that oil can come out through the stud hole)?? not sure on that one yet.
# 2, Has anyone dealt with this before and do I have to pull the engine out in order to drill and put a heliocoil in?
I will take your advice on the weather and temp problems, since that is not really a problem!

Glenn

If anyone is interested in solving mysteries you are welcome to weigh in on this one. I just noticed that my 150 lost about 14 gals of fuel sometime in the past 3 weeks. Friday I noticed the right bottom inside wing had a fine green oil dripping off of it on to the wheel cover and the floor. I then drained the remainder of fuel from the primary drain (does both tanks), got about 5.5 gals out. This was aviation fuel with Marvel Mystery oil in it (about 2 or 3 ounces per 5 gals). (The oil is RED as you all know). I continued to clean this green oil off the wing Saturday morning. I checked the vents, OK, No leaks found anyplace visible (the primary fuel line or the sending unit which is on top of the tank. The fuel cap vent works correctly also, one way only (in). The wing drain appears to be working correctly also.
This morning I put 3 gals of fuel in her, no leaks found. I then put another 5 gals in this evening, checked with my hand fuel gauge = 8 gals. I will check again in the morning. If no leaks found I will feel a little paranoid about flying again until I find out what caused this to happen.
The left hand below the wing vent works fine with air going in and releases the pressurized tanks slowing as it should. The air does not come back out of the tanks real fast and I think that is normal for the 150 vent??

Thanks again,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back