• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine out practice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJD

Reaction score
This might be common knowledge for a lot of you guys.......

I was practising engine out procedures yesterday with an instructor and found that at 400 ft AGL I had no problem returning to the runway. Probably could have returned at a lower AGL. Even had to slip to get her down. Lower than that you have to go straight ahead, left or right. It's amazing how much altitude is lost in the turn even while maintaining best glide - that is if I did it right.

In a 1900ft strip I simulated an engine out in ground effect and was able to stop way before the end by slippin straight ahead and then kicking it out on touchdown.

Needless to say, on downwind you can easily make it.

Great stuff to practise and a great plane to practice with!

Michael

Latest posts

Back