• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine Borescope (Time for Overhaul?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micheleparis2

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to get my first aircraft! Its a J3 and just had the pre purchase done. Here is some background information. Its an 1946 with C-85 upgraded with Dons Dream Machines. The compression check was good with all cylinders about 73/80. This is my concern. Its last over haul was in 2008 and has had 200 hrs put on it since. My concern is corrosion in the cylinders because it might have sat for almost a year at some points since 2008. I had a borescope looked inside through the spark plug openings. Ill attach pictures. The person who scoped it said "By all means its not a new engine but it doesn't look like there is anything that should give you problems" I would appreciate any second opinions. I also attach a picture of the oil screen. Its what looks like to be small pieces of carbon built up on it. Everything else looked good on the inspection, I just want to make sure the engine wont need to be overhauled in the next couple hundred hours. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.49.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.50.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.50.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.51.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.51.46 PM.png
ul

Latest posts

Back