• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Early model J-5 Gas Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UC-83

Reaction score
Gents;

I have a 1940 J-5A , 5-426. The sole gas tank, 18 gallons, is mounted in the right wing feeding through a one gallon header. The plane was demolished in a freak windstorm in 1981 on Christmas Eve. After years in my dad's garage, I had it restored over six years and rolled out in 2004. The gas tank had been damaged and was repaired. Last year it developed a leak which was repaired. Since, two further leaks have developed and been repaired - showing a new tank was really needed.

Though I was told PA-12 tanks would fit - I was told that about a windshield an two other parts in the restoration and each turned out to be incorrect. So I contacted the great folks at the Cub Club and just received PLANS for my tank. I have someone who is going to make me one. This will happen soon. IF someone else is, even thinks that they might end up in same predicament I imagine that getting more than one at the same time would be way cheaper than doing it on your own.

That said, if anyone thinks they might need such and wants to get in on getting one, contact me here and I will get back to you.

Since the first tank lasted 79 years I suspect I shan't need another in my lifetime. So, if this is not of interest now, but becomes so in the future, I can always pass the plans along!

Mark

Latest posts

Back