• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

door frames

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
i'm giving these to a friend of mine.
d

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
It could be that these aren't really J-3 door frames. The original ones (lower) are made of round tubing not square tube so anyone looking to do a Cub right will want the round tube pieces. They are Super Cub pieces and maybe you'll have good luck on E-bay or that super cub site.

Bob

F

fly_cubs

It could be that these aren't really J-3 door frames. The original ones (lower) are made of round tubing not square tube so anyone looking to do a Cub right will want the round tube pieces. They are Super Cub pieces and maybe you'll have good luck on E-bay or that super cub site.

Bob
The new Univair J-3 frames have square tubing around the door. These come with the new frames I believe. Also, the attachment method for the lower door is different on the new frames.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No, they're brand new Univair frames that came with his brand new fuselage and he wanted old "original style" instead to preserve its...originality.
That is something of a paradox, isn't it. ???

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
john, you seem to think you know a lot
about a plane that you have never seen.
you have surmised and assumed a great deal,
and been very critical of my project from the start.
most of the members here have been very helpful and positive,
but your comments have made me realize that this is not the forum for me.
d

T

tempdoug

I guess id just send em back to univair and make them get me the right ones. Or at least get a full refund for these and get something to fit somewhere else. Thats if there Univairs and im only assuming that. and thats my personal opinion.

T

tempdoug

Iowa , keep right on truckin on the project no matter what anyone says, good or bad, I know i had about 6-8 grand in postage or ups, gas freight on my project, went through 3 fuselages from people that sell junk until i finally bought one from JE Soares which Univair now has his jig. I am one that wouild really like to see your project or whatever your doing, with a thread on here. And if Univair is selling doors not like the originals, they should be sold as modified J3 doors. And for that being brought up everyone here is glad to know that. thank you. If you have a cub this is the forum. Lot of good people here that can save a lot of steps and dough, mostly because of experience.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iowa, keep in mind that the number of J3's that still match how they came from the factory can probably be counted on the fingers of one foot. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
JimC

P

Paul Smith

Hey you guys,

It's called courtesy, gentlemen.

Some of you would do well to remember what Thumper's mommy told him about situations like this.