• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Disincentive To Fly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacerman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a practical problem I have to solve to make flying more fun without worrying about losing my airplane every time a start it.

Plane: PA-17 Vagabond CUB. Yes, the plane says Vagabond Cub (cub logo) on the tail so I thought I would post this here.

I am now carrying about 14 psi in the 800x4.00 tires and the plane rolls real easy. My hangar apron is paved as is the whole area. There's no place to tie down the tail while I hand prop the airplane so I use my wheel chocks only. The problem is there's no place to tie down the plane while I hand prop the plane. With even one wheel chock will want to move, after I have pulled the left chock and before I pull the right chock. It's a hairy situation, just to get it started and mount up by myself without the plane trying to get away from me. I park my truck maybe 100 feet away in a parking slot and I can tie the plane to my truck, but I'll need to make one of those single handed tie-down thingy's with the carrot shaped wooden plug. I'm going to do this in coming week.

If there was a grassy area nearby I could use, I wouldn't even be posting this, but it's a real dilemna. I deal with safety issues at work and help my company maintain a standard I must say starting this airplane is without a doubt the most dangerous (and potentially foolhardy) thing I do in my life. BTW, the plane has no parking brake either.

I have considered driving a permanent tie-down into the asphalt pavement in front of my hangar. With the single-handed tiedown thing, I would feel safer. I might anger the airport management, but I will at least call the manager and explain my dilemna. I'm afraid me might go off on me though and do something like prohibiting single handed hand propping. Stranger things have happened.

Joe

Latest posts

Back