• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Disc Brakes and 8:00x4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Sooner or later, we'll have to put some words about the new Grove STC brakes here in Modifications. Let me start it by saying that it is already covered in the general chat area. Mine are the very first set delivered under the STC - I failed in an attempt for a field approval last year.

Performance to me is exactly the same as a brand-new Hayes brake. But to my friends, they are a dramatic improvement, because the pedals are hard and require very little movement. My big deal is maintenance, and these brakes are light years away from our problems with old expander tubes and worn out brake blocks. And no more of those little pieces getting loose and gouging the drums!

They are approved for whatever fluid was originally used in your aircraft, which for most of us was automotive. Dot 5 is a silicone fluid that costs an arm and a leg, but it is non-hygroscopic, and won't eat paint. I wouldn't want to fight with the FAA on choice of fluids, but they certainly can't insist on that horrible red stuff, since it ate some of our older parts!

Installation is a breeze, except for two things: you must remove the drum brakes and rivet the discs - with steel rivets! And the copper line is hard; you will need a tubing bender. (and a flare tool - automotive is fine). Use care when threading the hydraulic fittings - best done with everything loose.

This is just the ticket for those of us who like to fly, yet love the look of the 8:00x4s. bob turner

Latest posts

Back