• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub Withdrawl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swinger_006

Reaction score
Well, I haven't flown the Cub....or anything else, for that matter...for over a month and a half now. The savings that I had been using for my licence has gradually petered out; I guess the higher rental/instructor rates ($105/hr Cub, $52 hr instructor), coupled with the distance I have to drive to fly the Cub ate into my cash faster than I had originally intended.

I'm kind of at a crossroads and I need some advice. I was pretty close to solo when I stopped. I had done my mandatory spin training in a Citabria, worked traffic pattern for about 3 lessons and got about 14 landings under my belt. Of course, my next goal is to get some sort of loan or financing to finish my training, but the big question is where to apply it to.

If I keep going to Santa Ana to train (or at least solo) in the Cub, I have to factor in the extended costs involved. Sunrise is a great school, in an affluent area, so their rates are relatively high. Not to mention that it's a 60 mile round trip to Santa Ana, and that limits my availability during the week/eats into gas money. After I solo the Cub there, I would have to transfer to a Citabria or something with radio nav equipment to continue training. HOWEVER, the plus side is that I would get my taildragger endorsement after soloing.

El Monte airport is close to me (>10 mi) and there are some schools there. I could be saving over $50 an hour compared to flying the Cub at Sunrise. I could also fly 3-4 times a week, if I had the funds. The drawback would be I would be flying a 150/52 or similar trike; but at least I would be flying.

I just finished cleaning up all the negative stuff on my credit and I feel ready to try and find some funding, somehow. In the big picture, I want to get all my ratings and start instructing- as soon as I can! I am also wondering if looking into buying a trainer and finding someone to teach me is a feasible third option, though I'm not sure what my fixed costs for that would be.

Any advice? It's on to Flight Simulator for a while until I figure this out.

Latest posts

Back