• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub vs. Champ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Just brought a 100 hp Champ to San Diego from the Denver area. A sweetheart airplane, although not a Cub.

Earlier in the summer, I helped bring a 100 hp Legend in from Florida. I did not write down a lot of performance data from that, but I was generally pleased with the aircraft.

My impression has always been that the Champ was a faster airplane in cruise. Apparently not so, when we get to the 100 hp variants. Both airplanes seem to come in at the 85 mph mark. Both were wood prop-equipped.

I enjoyed the Champ, but I have to say the Cubs handle a lot better. No wonder they are twice the price.

One of the neat things about this trip - I was not sure the hand held even worked, so I just went Nordo from Denver to just east of my home airport. A good earplug, apparently, is a lot better than a headset. I had forgotten how pleasant nordo flying was. I even turned the GPS off..

I called the tower to see if I could get in Nordo if the hand held wouldn't perform. They said ordinarily, yes, but a sports TFR caused them to be not able. The portable worked, but by the time I got on final, all I could hear was country music. Squelch knob didn't work.

Latest posts

Back