• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

CUB FENDERS

longwinglover

Reaction score
Just to clarify are you looking for something like these?

John Scott

sj20.jpg

sj21.jpg

sj20.jpg

sj21.jpg

sj20.jpg

sj21.jpg

clyde

Reaction score
They are nice but i am looking for the original ones that are more like teardrops without rivits.

39-J3

Reaction score
John, What type of fenders are those? I have wheel pants from wag aero on my cub and the bigest problem that I have with them is checking or adding air to the tires. The wheel pants need to be removed to do so. It was nice having them on this year, Our strip never dried out this past summer and it kept a lot mud and grass from being splashed up onto the fuselage.

Larry

CIMG2103.JPG

CIMG2103.JPG

CIMG2103.JPG

longwinglover

Reaction score
But you DO mean something like this, not wheel pants like below which I've actually heard some people call "fenders".

John Scott

sj52.jpg

sj52.jpg

sj52.jpg

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry, why not add 'doors' like these, that allow airing the tires. They are held in place with a single hartwell latch. Push the button, and they fall out in your hand. Air the tire up, slide them back into place, and you're done.
JimC

NWH1.jpg

NWH1.jpg

NWH1.jpg

39-J3

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I will look into adding doors on them. I did not know that was an option.

Larry

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Clyde,
Is this closer? They were called "streamlines".
Chuck Shaw

DSC_3767ClipwingWheelStreamlines.jpg

DSC_3766ReedClipWing.jpg

DSC_3766ReedClipWing.jpg

DSC_3766ReedClipWing.jpg

J

Josh

sorry but that white wheel pant is the ugliest thing I have ever seen on an airplane.....LOL :D

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh, I don't argue that -- but since it adds about 6 or 7 mph in cruise over the stock fairing, plus a substantial increase in rate of climb, it might be worthwhile anyway. Not to mention that it allows one person to remove the entire fairing in about 4 minutes while the stock fairing takes two people about twice that long. The reason for the dorsal fin is that it reduces some of the oleo and torque link drag. The reason for the short aft section is that it resolves a known, erratic uncommanded yaw darting problem in Piper Cherokees that are running the stock fairing. All in all, more pluses than minuses, particularly in these days of high fuel prices. :)

However, the point of the post had nothing to do with that particular wheel fairing -- the post only related to its small air door that allows the tire to be easily inflated without removing the fairing. That door can be installed in almost any wheel fairing.
JimC

Latest posts