• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

continental oil filler cap

T

tempdoug

If anyone would have a oil filler cap without the dipstick or one in any condition that fits a continental 4 cylinder kidney tank im lookin for one to make a warm forced air preheater prototype. I have to drill at least an inch out of the center of it. thanks doug

farm-tim

Reaction score
I have a one off the 150 with a busted dip-stick (dont ask) its yours if ya need it.
Tim

B

backcast

Warm forced air pre-heater, sounds interesting. What's going to be the heat source? The Army used to use that concep on CUCVs in Alaska.
Tedd

J-3/PA11

Reaction score
A concern that I have is condensation. Warm air on cold parts will cause condensation to form on those cold parts. Of course heating the air will lower the amount of water availible to condensate so it may be a wash. However I don't like to try and reinvent the wheel and there are many good options to heat from the outside in. These engines don't get overly warm in the winter to remove the water vapor, I recommend giving this a good think before use. Jim

farm-tim

Reaction score
allmost seem like the warm air flow would have a pretty good drying affect???
I really like the fact that there wouldnt be an stc or any install problems.
but im just a farmer, Tim

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water vapor in the warm air will condense out inside the engine. Depending on the humidity, that may or may not be a lot of condensation. The only outlet for the air is the small diameter oil breather tube, plus the push rod tubes through whatever valves may happen to be open, so you'd probably want to rotate the engine a turn or two as you are doing this, so all cylinders will get the effect. Your airflow will most likely be in outlet control, so you may not get as much flow as you might expect.
JimC