• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Continental A65-8 Questions - Dilema

partyofone

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a dilema. I have an A65-8 tapered shaft installed on a Tcraft right now. It's in excellent running condition, but is being swapped for a 0 SMOH 65 as part of the sale agreement.

The problem is that I have no logs for that engine, there is no data plate on it, but I have a data plate for a -8F here at the house.

Is this engine sellable or not? Would someone be able to add the data plate and overhaul it?

I'd be selling it for the cost of the labor on the new engine, probably in the $1500 range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my impression that no one but Continental could add a dataplate to the engine.

AOP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not a legal engine. With no data plate, it could be off an airboat or a generator. There's no way of tracking where it's been or how long it's been there. It cannot even be annualed legally. Anyone who signs off on that engine is risking his certificate. From an owners point of view, technically you can't even fly that airplane with that engine in it.

I would say that qualifies as a dilemma. I doubt Continental would even touch it.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also doubt that they would. However, it can be sold in the airboat market, or to the experimental crowd.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
You might consult with an engine rebuilder like Don's Dream Machines. In the case (no pun) of the C series overhauls he can apply the engine data plate to a new or more serviceable case as part of the overhaul. This may only apply to his C-85 STCs though.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huston, he doesn't have the data plate.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
He mentions having a -8F plate ..Loose plate that could be used ? I guessed the 0 time engine to be taken in trade had it's own plate.

partyofone

Reaction score
The 0 SMOH has a plate.

What I am learning is that my Dad was a great craftsman, but hated paperwork. That's probably why I can't find any logs for the engine that is in the airplane.

I may be wrong about the shaft. I haven't taken the spinner off to see if the engine is indeed a -8F. If it is, then can the data plate be reattached?

Erik

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not legally.

doug

Reaction score
" can the data plate be reattached?"

"Not legally."

?? Explain.

Latest posts