• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Clyde Smith seminar KSLR Feb 22,23,24 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Contact Darin Hart [email protected] at Legend aircraft to sign up and get hotel info. They really want a great turnout for Clyde and I hope to attend. Please support this event!

Dear Fabric Piper Owner/Enthusiast.. ..

Thank you for your interest in the upcoming restoration seminar. As the fabric Piper fleet ages, and newer, younger owners and restorers take over, I find an ever increasing need to educate the current and future generation of owners and rebuilders on what the standards were when these aircraft were built, the oldest of which are now near 70 years in age.

I can sense this lack of knowledge by the questions that I am asked and all the phone calls and mail that I receive. The "Type Clubs" are doing a great job passing on information and experiences among the membership, but there is still a missing link, especially for those who don't belong to an owners club. It is for this reason that I have decided to put my restoration work to the side and go out in the field and conduct regional training sessions, along with various training aids, and work with small groups of people instead of "one on one" by mail or over the phone, as I have been doing for nearly 30 years now. By using slides, video tapes, technical diagrams, and text, along with some actual "hands on" methods of instruction and demonstration, there is not a more effective way to pass this information across.

An additional advantage is the camaraderie and friendship among the participants and the sharing of information and experiences of other students. That's what it's all about.
Nearly nineteen years of my life was spent working for Piper Aircraft Corporation in such capacities as engineering drafting, technical writing, technical instruction, and product support on all the older models at the Lock Haven plant. I also worked as a manager and creator of the PA-18 Super Cub Kit program at the Vero Beach plant. With all this experience and exposure, I feel well-qualified and capable of conducting these restoration and maintenance programs. have also owned five fabric Piper models myself, consisting of a pre-war and post-war 1-3, A PA-12, PA-15, and the original prototype PA-16 Clipper. I have won major Oshkosh awards with my PA-12 and a client's 1938 13C-50 Sport.

This is my goal to preserve the past for the future, and pass this information on, so that these fine aircraft may be preserved, maintained, and enjoyed well into the future.

Now more about the seminar. By the way, if you don't even own an airplane yet, this is a fantastic way to familiarize yourself with each of the models and find out everything from service problems to performance specs. We'll begin the first day with a presentation on the genealogy of the early Pipers. We'll discuss the FAA Airworthiness Directives that pertain to the airframe, engine, propeller, and accessories. As the class progresses, we'll go over the whole restoration process in detail from tear-down to final inspection and test flight. We'll discuss cleaning, inspection, fabricating parts, and where to get parts and supplies. We'll also talk about covering, painting, upholstering, and final touches. There will be some demonstrations and a chance for some "hands on" experience. We will end up with an exercise on rigging. A few of the demonstrations will include rib repair methods, wing panel trammeling, fabric covering and stitching, and a Graco HVLP paint system demonstration.

Each student will receive an information packet including a notebook, pen, and a very generous supply of very informative handouts. Tail decals and some small parts that I manufacture will be displayed for sale during the seminar. Old photos and factory reference books, along with currently published books on Piper history will also be displayed. Videos pertaining to Piper history will be shown during evening hours and some will be for sale. Complimentary coffee and doughnuts will be supplied each morning.

As of April 2005, the FAA has accepted this training course (AGUO I05/00 I0124) in accordance with FAA Order 8470.1 D. The material meets the requirements of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations section 65.93(a)( 4) for the annual renewal of aircraft mechanics holding an Inspection Authorization rating. A special certificate of completion will be issued to those individuals who are interested, upon completion of the class, in addition to the regular certificate that all attendees receive.

Don't delay and miss out. Class size is limited. The tuition for the 2008 year is $380.00 with immediate family members under 21 years of age and spouses at half the current price. As a courtesy to the host, and for planning purposes, a $50 deposit should be paid at least 2 weeks in advance. Checks may be made out to "Cub Restoration Services". The instructor reserves the right to cancel a class if attendance is not sufficient. All funds received will be returned in that case. Your host will provide registration, lodging, and location information. Come join in and be a part of this friendly and informative session. and bring photos of your project or aircraft with you. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,
Clyde R. Smith, Jr.
Instructor

Latest posts

Back