• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

clipped wing cub

Reaction score
I am looking for a Clipped Wing Cub. Would prefer a larger engine (100 hp) and standard type certicate on the aircraft. Am quite unfamiliar with a clipped cub (never even flown one), but want to do some basic aerobatics while still enjoying the joy of cub flying so any advice or insight on the performance differences between a clipped cub and my old 100 hp 'cubby' would be appreciated.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much quicker roll rate (still slow), twitchy in pitch mostly due to the different sight picture (you'll get used to that). Stunning descent angle. Yaw still feels like a Cub. The rest doesn't.

They're nice planes, but I don't enjoy flying them.

Original 1

Reaction score
Stunning descent angle.

Angle or path? GUP

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pays yer money and takes yer pick.

It comes down like a stock J3 with a 10 gallon external belly tank mounted.

Reaction score
well all y'all have provided good insights on how it comes down, but i was wondering more about how it climbs with a bigger engine. what kind of reduction of climb performance might i expect with 7 or 8 feet off those wings?

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot less climb rate. And the takeoff roll is a lot longer. Flair feels different too.

On a sde by side takeoff with me in a longwing O-200 J3 and a friend in an 85 stroker clipwing, I was about 300 feet higher than him when we turned crosswind in the pattern. Sound like you're planning to clip a lot more off the span than the certified clipwing.

Reaction score
hey Jim.... I wasnt thinking about taking more than the normal reed conversion but was referring to the total length out of both wings. And actually I am looking to purchase a Clipped wing Cub, not clip it myself. Your notes about performance are quite helpful. I really loved the performance of my standard wing cub with an 0-200, but never having flown a clipped wing I just want to make sure I am not disappointed with the take off and climb performance trade off for some aerobatic ability. Sounds like I should search for one with a bigger ( 0-200) engine.

39-J3

Reaction score
You will not be disappointed with the performance of the Clipped wing cub. I have an 85 on mine and a 70/42 prop and on a cool day it will climb at 900 to 1000 fpm. The only time I feel the affects of the short wings is on a hot summer day with high density altitude and taking off at gross.

Larry

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will find a certified clipwing with an O-200. You may be able to find one with an 85 stroker -- that requires two STC's, one for the 85, and one for the stroking. You won't be unhappy with the stroker.

You are going to have a set of 65-70 year old wood spars -- if they're not newly replaced, I'd be careful what aerobatics I would inflict on them (don't bust a maneuver in a way that'll bust a decrepit[sup][/sup] spar).

I agree with Larry that the clipwing's rate of climb isn't bad. It just suffers when directly compared with a longwing with the same power. Since you are concerned about the takeoff and climb performance and since you are coming from a longwing with high power, I suggest that you hitch a ride with someone who owns one so you can try it out.

longwinglover

Reaction score
clippedcubsearcher,

Drop me a PM with your e-mail. I've got some information you will enjoy reading about Clipped Wing Cubs.

John Scott