• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Changing Type Cert and re-marking Data Plates.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2D

Reaction score
I didn't want to muddle up the pre 55 337 thread so I thought I'd take it up here.

Per Longwinglover:

The second caviat is "not contrary to regulatory requirements". In the posted 337, the data plate was changed. There are regulations saying you can't, TODAY.

Per the FAA's own rules and words, I believe Piper J3L-65, SN 5581, registered N32746 had its Type changed to a J3C-65 on Feb 16, 1946. I don't believe it can be done today.

Per the FAA:

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (d)(1) of this section, no person may remove, change, or place identification information required by paragraph (a) of this section, on any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, propeller blade, or propeller hub, without the approval of the Administrator.
[ (c) Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2) of this section, no person may remove or install any identification plate required by Sec. 45.11, without the approval of the Administrator.]
(d) Persons performing work under the provisions of Part 43 of this chapter may
, in accordance with methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator--
(1) Remove, change, or place the identification information required by paragraph (a) of this section on any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, propeller blade, or propeller hub;

Furthermore, another hangup seems to be the aircraft certified under different Type certificates. Leading some to believe the aircraft must stay under the TC it originally was certified.

If this was the case, One could not convert an AR7 certified Supercub to a 2A3 Supercub.
But this note in the AR7 TC proves otherwise:

(c) The Model PA-18A "150" (Restricted Category) is the same as the Standard Category PA-18A "150" except for minor design changes and can be converted to the Standard Category using the manufacturer's conversion instructions dated August 6, 1957. When operating in Standard Category, FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet No. 1A2 will apply.

The caveat in the case of the J3's is the "serial numbers eligible"

2325, 2327, 2339, 2340, 2342, 2344, 2345, 2347, 2349, 2351, 2355 and up;
2356-A and up; and 8277-1 through 8277-40.

If you have an aircraft in that S/N range, it is eligible to be re-certified under A-691.

Latest posts

Back