• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

C90 crank and cam

md80bob

Reaction score
Looking for a C90 Crank and a cam. If you have any leads let me know.

Thanks
Bob

longwinglover

Reaction score
Bob,

The flanged crank (p/n 530182) is the same as the O-200.

There are two different cam shafts for the C-90. The "best" (better torque) cam shaft is more difficult to find and is best used in applications with straight exhaust (no muffler). I think if you search the forums for "C90 cam shaft" there is more information.

It is rumored that the C90-14 cam shaft is exactly the same as the O-200, but I have no proof of that.

John Scott

doug

Reaction score
Someone told me awhile back that a C90 is better than an 0-200 because of the torque. That means shorter takeoff, better climb. Any truth to that?

DH

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The C90-14 case shares the Lord mounts with the O-200, but I don't recall the cam being the same (it may well be -- my memory isn't always the best).
JimC

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug, once you correct the drafting misplot of the O-200 power curve for 2550 rpm above 26" manifold pressure, it becomes clear that both power and torque are slightly greater for the O-200 at any rpm and manifold pressure that would be used in flight. This drafting error isn't present in the C-90 power curve. The C-90 will produce more power and torque at low rpm, but I've never seen much advantage to having more power at idle when coming down final. That said, I think any J3 pilot would be thrilled with the performance from either a 90 or an O-200.
JimC

Latest posts