• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C 90 exhaust leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CubFly

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new IA completed a compression test. The bore check was also done that looked good. First. I flew the airplane for about 30 minutes. The results were C1-69, C3-68, C4-72 and C2-80. There was a very mild hissing sound from the exhaust when the air was compressed in each of the cylinders - C1, C3 and C4. None during testing C2 that had a reading of 80. I put my palm to cover the exhaust to check whether I could feel any air. There was no feeling of blowing air on my palm but could hear it. So it appears to be mild. There are no intake leaks. While changing the oil after 25 hours, it appeared darker than normal but may not be related. The tach has 68 hours only.

My question is not about the compression but the exhaust leaks. What would you do next if it was your engine? Would you send it to a major engine shop to split the case and investigate? Or take some some baby steps before that? Or these mild hissing sound from the exhaust not worth chasing?

Latest posts

Back