• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-85 Prop ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
So when I bought my J3 with a C-85, the paperwork said it had a 1B90 7149. After reading on here, it never really made sense, seemed to cruise at a max of 80 and had no trouble getting off the ground, even with the instructor. After cleaning off the plane the other day I noticed the prop had been repitched, and after close examination it is actually a 7140, makes much more sense.

From reading other threads seems the "ideal prop" is a 7142-7144. My mechanic said a previous owner was trying to push the short field performance and that is why it is so flat.

Doesn't seem to break redline ever, and pulls at about 2400 on the take off climb at 60.

Anything I need to watch for running a prop this flat? Obviously, I might gain some speed with a steeper pitch.

As always, thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back