• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

C-85 or C-90

nwetzler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a C-85 or C-90 to replace my A-65 (who isn't right?...). My grandfather is turning 90 this year and won't be able to hand prop too much longer and I'd hate to have to end his flying career because of something that's not 100% necessary to continue flying. I'd also like a little more oomph for those high density altitude days and long trips (who wouldn't?). Let me know what you have...I'd like to make the swap ASAP and am a very serious buyer. I am also willing to trade/sell the A-65 which has less than 1000 TT, less than 400SMOH.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 90-12F isn't approved on the J3, so that pretty much limits you to the 85-12 if you want a starter. Do not install an engine driven generator or alternator.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a -12 engine so you can install a starter ? Think the C-85-12F is on the TCDS but not any of the -12 C-90S (going from memory)

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 85-12F and -8F are NOT on the TCDS. Wonder why Paul didn't add them? I should have asked when I talked to him earlier today.

NE Cub

Reaction score
RE the 85-12F; please ask him. It seems like such a glaring omission.

George

nwetzler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. My A&P seems to think the most cost effective route will be for him to build up a hybrid C-85/O-200, as he says he can get o-200 parts relatively cheap. Over the last few months I've found a few affordable (less than $5k) C-85's, almost all of which had no data plate and no logs. I'd love to hear what the folks around here spent on similar projects, and/or what they believe a reasonable price is for the engine and/or the work. Hopefully that would help me a little in gaining perspective as to whether or not my budget is realistic. I'm keeping fingers crossed that I'll find something soon...perhaps I'll come across a good deal at Sentimental Journey if I don't find one sooner. Thanks again for the help!