• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-85 oil screen housing/muffler shroud clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anelon

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents, I have a problem and I suspect anyone with a C-85-12 in a J-3 has the same problem.

The muffler heat exchanger shroud interferes with the oil screen housing (which also houses the oil temp probe) to the extent that in my own and other installations I have seen dents (Continental called it a "relief") pounded into the shroud in order to make the whole thing fit together. This places the soft aluminum shroud in close proximity to the hot muffler and I don't like that. To compound the problem, the exhaust system had to be dropped in order to check the oil screen every time I changed the oil! This was not acceptable to me.

I wanted to install a F&M oil filter adapter anyway following my recent major overhaul. (El Reno aviation still has a few of the short adapters - the TAF version - available). I had to cut a hole in the cowling anyway, even with the short adapter and the short Champion filter. The STC requires de-soldering and removing the oil screen from the oil screen housing, but it still leaves the housing in place as a host for the oil temp probe. The clearance problem is still there.

Does anyone know a DER in the northeast with some imagination that might help me with a planned solution? I have a couple of ideas that will require either modification to the airframe or to a certified engine and will require a one-off or an STC.

Your informed thoughts would be appreciated.

Alex Nelon

Latest posts

Back