• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Buy or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhallows

Reaction score
Howdy y'all...
I''m new here. I've been flying for 16 years, I have owned a piper warrior for many years, and I'm currently flying corporate jets (Phenoms).
I have some friends who often fly out of a nearby airport in Utah in their bush planes, and I've been tempted for a long time to buy one myself and go with them on their adventures. I don't yet have a tailwheel endorsement or any tailwheel training, but I have a friend who can do it for me once I've got a plane we can do it in.
I found a 1946 J-3 Cub for sale, under 800 TT, SMOH under 500, Prop since new under 400 for $28,000 does this sound too good to be true or par for the course? Owner said he flies it regularly.
Airplane per its pictures looks pretty clean, classic yellow color with the black lightning bolt, prop is wood. The current owner claims no damage history, and I've asked for logs and for info as to when engine was overhauled and when current prop was put on. I want to understand what may need to be done to keep this bird airworthy(are most flying them experimental?), and know what might be coming down the road as to possible maintenance items. Can anyone comment on if many if any of these still have cotton fabric, and what kinds of things I'd need to watch for on a yearly basis? I'd probably fly it 50 hours yearly so not a bunch...I'm not mechanically inclined much myself, so I'd love some possible recommendations on where (I live in Utah) to have maintenance and any upgrades done if anyone is aware of anything local.
My dream when possible would be to get some training in it, and get up to snuff feeling comfortable, then possibly add some larger bush tires, and get some floats to use it on water one day.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 121

Latest posts

Back