• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

But it's an F

Shade3126

Reaction score
Sure looks like a nice Cub, but seems like the hassles of the Franklin lowers the value of it significantly. I am sure the sellers argument is- We just spent a fortune to overhaul it 10 hrs ago!

http://www.sunlandair.com/sale7.html

Any thoughts- is the Franklin worth the parts troubles? What is it worth with the Franklin? Sure it can be converted to Continental, but that is even more bucks. It would just as easy to spend the same money on a nice Continental in the first place.

I always hate estate sales- the husband has been telling the wife for the last 20 years- Honey it is an investment, that plane in the hangar is worth $50,000 and going up every day. It is better than money in the bank! When it comes time to sell, the time comes to face the truth.

J3 Driver

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that pictures can hide a lot. But that Cub looks really nice. I the Franklin checks out run it till it needs replaced. You won't find a smoother running 4 cylinder.

fasken

Reaction score
I think it was on the market with these guys 14 months ago when I bought my J3.

skipster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO Priced $8,000.00 too high

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure would be nice with a Franklin 235 on it.

longwinglover

Reaction score
I've been thinkin'...Oh, No!... ::)

If it were a pristine J3F, it would be worth nearly the asking price to a real collector. Unfortunately, it is neither pristine or a recent rebuild.. The exterior pictures are really too general to show any details, but the interior pictures do. Nonstandard panel, overspray, incomplete interior trim all make one wonder about exterior details.

I'd wager that it is a good solid Cub and that the 10SMOH engine will give good service, but it will take somebody special (or uninformed) to buy it. $25K is probably a fair price.

John Scott

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with John-- but, I'd sure think hard about putting that Franklin 235 on it, with a flat prop.

Shade3126

Reaction score
Yes it has been on the market for some time- they were asking $44 when I saw the ad some time ago and I just cruised on by. I have not seen it or even made any calls for more info. For me as a first time vintage aircraft buyer the price would have to come down to closer to the $25 suggested above before I will give it much more consideration.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are very familiar with the differences between the C and F first. They are not on the same Type Certificate.

Latest posts