• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Bungee tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longwinglover

Reaction score
Hi group,

I have posted pictures of a simple bungee replacement tool in the photo album http://www.j3-cub.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=46&g2_itemId=2479. This tool should work on ALL Piper aircraft with EXTERNAL bungees (J3, J5, PA-11, PA-18, etc.) and I think it works with hydrosorbs if they are installed.

I DID NOT invent, design or build this tool. I had it copied from one a friend had. It is very similar to a tool seen being used in a film of Cub construction in the Piper factory. At one time I DID see a very similar tool being offered for sale, but I don't remember where.

I have seen a number of "medevil torture device" tools built from bumper jacks and engine hoists used to install bungees. THESE THINGS SCARE ME! :shock: This tool is simple and uses leverage from the shock strut itself to streach the bungee. The shock strut can be rotated to streach the bungee WITH ONE HAND.

If you are ready to install the new bungees, I swear you can install 4 bungees in less than 4 minutes! :eek:

If you are replacing your bungees please take the time to disassemble the shock struts, clean and inspect them for wear or deterioration and make sure the small leather disk is still inside to cushion the movement! Lube and reassemble.

I hope this will be useful to some of you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

John Scott

Latest posts

Back