• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Bungee replacement day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shack 29H

Reaction score
Doing the annual and found necking on the old bungees, so it was time to learn how to change them. Thanks to folks who posted here earlier for all the necessary information. I ended up using the engine hoist method, with a thick wooden base and a 1 1/2" hole drilled through it for the strut. Used a grade-8 3 inch 5/16" bolt in the strut end underneath the wood to keep it from pulling through the hole. The pictures don't show it, but there are big 3" screws in the wood base along the outside of the engine hoist legs to keep the wood from shifting back and forth.

Getting the bungees to clear the strut ear as they stretched upwards required some improvisation, and a big socket was the perfect solution to hold the bungees away enough to get past the ear without damage. A big screwdriver worked well to encourage the bungees over the ear, and then with the hoist lowered they settled into place. Had to cut the rope close to the bungee and pull the loose end out with the hoist. KY Jelly worked great and the bungees snugged right into position.

My Cub is 730#, and I paired a 1080 and a 1280HD on each strut. I'll report here if it's too loose. It had two 1280HD's on it before, but it was pretty crowded.

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9710.jpg
    IMG_9710.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9711.jpg
    IMG_9711.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9712.jpg
    IMG_9712.jpg