• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Brake bleeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I am not really freaked out by seeing my name on so many "Stickys" but it sure is somebody else's turn to be featured there.

I routinely remove parking brakes from light aircraft. They have been nothing but trouble for my students.

Best way in a Cub to get all the air out is to completely drain all fluid, then refill from the bottom with an overflow tube on the top, hose into a jar.

Once all the air is out, you can add fluid from the top as necessary - usually every six months for stock brakes, maybe twice as often for disc. If you are in the habit of dragging brakes, over- filling can lead to brake lockup on hot days. I have one student who uses brakes all the time when on the ground, so I have to drain a bit of fluid after getting the brakes perfect.

I use Dot 5, but it has become prohibitively expensive. I use Dot 3 or 4 on stock brakes (well, used to - we are all Grove now). I dislike 5606 for a number of reasons, but may go back to it in the future.

All, as usual, opinion.

Latest posts

Back