• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Best Tailwheel for a J-3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipped Cub

Reaction score
OK...I know I'm likely opening up a can of worms here but I ma interested in deciding on what the best tailwheel for my J-3 is. It is flown on grass and pavement (mostly pavement) by both high and low time pilots. I'm leaning toward the Lnag from what I read about it:

"The Lang Model D-501-A Tailwheel is full swivel, fully automatic and steerable. It's impossible to throw the Lang tailwheel into full swivel unintentionally regardless of rough field conditions or cross winds. This tailwheel will not lock in any position except steerable, but releases easily when plane is pushed sideways or backwards by hand or when maneuvering plane on ground using brakes."

Here are the apporved Tailwheels from the Type Cert:

304. Tail wheels
Models J3C-40,
J3C-50, J3C-65 Model PA-11
(a) 6x2.00 steerable, Aircraft Associates
(b) 6x2.00 steerable, Scott Model CST-12
(c) 6x2.00 steerable, Scott Model 3-21
(d) 6x2.00 steerable, Scott Model 3000
(e) 6x2.50 steerable full-swivel Maule Model SFS-14
(f) 6x2.50 steerable, straight, Maule Model SS-12
(g) 6x2.50 steerable automatic full-swivel, Maule Model SAFS-14
(h) Imperial Model B-100
(i) Maule Model SFS-1-4-P8
*(j) Steerable - Lang (Formerly Decker) Model D-501A +2 lb. (+197) -2 lb. (+197)

I don't see the Scott 3200 but think it is approved.

My Cub currently has a Maule SFSA (solid tailwheel) on it. Last year, the tailwheel was very difficult to unlock. This year, it unlocks by just applying firm rudder pressure on the right rudder. I am thinking about rebuilding it but may just rebuild it and then repalce it.

Thanks,

Craig

Latest posts

Back