• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Average wood prop age on your Cub ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speeddemon651

Reaction score
I have two Sensenich wood props for my Cub

-1945 72" 42 p 10 layers of laminate
-8/1946 72" 42 p 5 or 6 layers of laminate

I was wondering how old of props is everyone else flying with ?

I just pulled the 1945 prop off my Cub for annual and doesn't look like it's possible to be overhauled due to 2 very small cracks in the hub area that barley go into the second layer of laminate on the front and rear hub mounting surfaces. What's the FAA regulation for repairs of a top laminate layer ?

The layers on my 1945 prop are half as thick as my 1946 prop (10 vs 5) so it seems the way the regulations are, a wood prop with much thicker laminate layers can sustain a much deeper crack and still me milled down and repaired?

After speaking with Sensenich, they think it might be time to retire any prop from 1945 making a point about the epoxy used then was not quite as good as it is today and even if it was overhauled, I would likely only get a few more years out of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back