• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Any body Got a 65 for sale

farm-tim

Reaction score
Im looking for a 65 to overhaul
ill take just about any condition, with or with out acc.
Thanks tim

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's one worth? It was running when it was removed from the airframe, but that was 40 years ago.
JimC

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My brother has one which was on his Cub he removed to install an 85. It probably has about 300 hours since major. Unfortunately, the logs have been misplaced.........but if you are looking to overhaul.............

If interested, PM me (or JimC) for Rick's contact info.

I am traveling so am only on intermittently. Don't get worried if I don't reply immediately.

JimR

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my second attempt to make this post -- the first one went off into computer never-never land.

I've flown Rick's 65 that JimR describes, and it is a good, strong running engine. Logs or no, I'd just start a new log, slap it on the airframe and go, till it needed work. That could be years, or it could be next week (we all know how small Continentals go). I'm going to be off-list till Sunday night, but if anyone needs Rick's phone number, I can be reached today and over the weekend on my mobile phone at Nine-O-One 268-9304

JimC

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. Personally, I would not be leary of flying behind Rick's 65 as is. (there is no warranty that comes with that opinion though)
JimC

farm-tim

Reaction score
P.S. Personally, I would not be leary of flying behind Rick's 65 as is. (there is no warranty that comes with that opinion though)
JimC
personaly im not scared by many of these little continentals but im trying to sell my Luscome 8A and the engine time seems to be a BIG hangup to some... so i thought id just hang a lower time engine and keep the one i have for nother project
tim

peterpilot379

Reaction score
I ran across a guy with a post on Barnstormers over a month ago who has an A-65 for sale. The catch is the engine is in Anchorage, AK. I was thinking of buying it as a spare to my working A-65 but it will just sit around in my garage for Lord knows how long so I decided against it. I met the fella and looked over the engine (I commute up there for work). The engine has been sitting in his garage for about 8 years. He had trouble selling it in AK as the need for 65 horses up there is nonexistent and to ship to the lower 48 is pricey (about $600 4 years ago, he said).

Here is the email that he sent me:

"Just want to pass on to you the results of the inspection I had performed Friday on the Cont. A-65-8 engine I have. I took the engine to Alaskan Aircraft Engines, Inc. at Merrill Field and they removed two cylinders to inspect for corrosion damage on the cam and cylinders. Owner of the company said the engine looked typical for a 350 hr since major engine and said it should go at least another 500 more. He said the killer for inactive engines is being outside with unsealed exhaust, carb box and case breather and hundreds of hi to low temperature cycles, thus condensation. All openings on my engine were sealed and it was kept in a garage with constant temperature in a semi-arid environment. The #1 & 3 cylinders were pulled and inspected. He reported that the cylinder bores had slight pitting and are in serviceable condition. The cam and lifter had mud rust (discolored oily film) that when it was removed revealed the cam and lifters to be in fair and serviceable condition. All cylinders are .015 over with no cracks. It has Slick mags with 150hrs on them and the shaft is tapered."

The engine owner is a really nice guy and would like to see the it go to someone who will fly it but absolutely no one in AK wants a 65hp motor. I think he might take 500-700 plus cost to ship.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll PM or email you his phone number.

farm-tim

Reaction score
Im interested... The Luscombe is on e-bay and will sell thurs at 5. But I still want a 65 just for the sake of having it. Ive got a really big building that still has a little room left in it. ;D
Thanks, Tim