• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Another seatbelt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTails7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing shoulder harnesses in my 1946 J3, which requires installing the included seat belts. The current seat belts were made in 1972 and 1974 and have a TSO. The front looks exactly like the original belts. The rear is a little different with a cables instead of wire as you can see in the photo. Also the belt clips to the cable.
BeltClip.jpg
RearBelt.jpg

The cable looks like it slipped out of position why I was looking at it. That it does that so easily worries me.

The new seat belt has a similar triangle of metal but is solid with a hole. I have a nicopress and could attach a cable to the belt while outside the Cub and then attach to the sling tube the same way, or I could attach it directly with cable to the fuselage frame which would require pressing the fitting while inside the Cub.

I can sort of see why they cascaded the attachment when using wire but I think directly to the fuselage might be better with the cable. It couldn't slip off.

Do you think this is a good idea or legal?
John

Latest posts

Back