• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

AD 2015-08-04 Struts & Forks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46cubpilot

Reaction score
I just received the latest revision to the strut and fork AD on Piper aircraft. They have not addressed the WagAero anomaly of sealed struts with standard forks.
--- quote ---
(i) Wing Lift Strut Replacement Options
Before further flight after the removal required in paragraph (g) of this AD, replace the wing lift struts following one of the options in paragraph (i)(1), (i)(2), or (i)(3) of this AD, including all subparagraphs, or inspect each wing lift strut following paragraph (h)(1) or (h)(2) of this AD.
(1) Install original equipment manufacturer (OEM) part number wing lift struts (or FAA-approved equivalent part numbers) that have been inspected following the procedures in either paragraph (h)(1) or (h)(2) of this AD, including all subparagraphs, and are found to be airworthy. Do the installations following Piper MSB No. 528D, dated October 19, 1990, or Piper MSB No. 910A, dated October 10, 1989, as applicable. Repetitively thereafter inspect the newly installed wing lift struts at intervals not to exceed 24 calendar months following the procedures in either paragraph (h)(1) or (h)(2) of this AD, including all subparagraphs.
(2) Install new sealed wing lift strut assemblies (or FAA-approved equivalent part numbers) (these sealed wing lift strut assemblies also include the wing lift strut forks) following Piper MSB No. 528D, dated October 19, 1990, and Piper MSB No. 910A, dated October 10, 1989, as applicable. Installing one of these new sealed wing lift strut assemblies terminates the repetitive inspection requirements in paragraphs (h)(1) and (h)(2) of this AD, and the wing lift strut fork removal, inspection, and replacement requirement in paragraphs (j) and (k) of this AD, including all subparagraphs, for that wing lift strut assembly.
(3) Install F. Atlee Dodge wing lift strut assemblies following F. Atlee Dodge Aircraft Services, Inc. Installation Instructions No. 3233-I for Modified Piper Wing Lift Struts Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) SA4635NM, dated February 1, 1991. Repetitively thereafter inspect the newly installed wing lift struts at intervals not to exceed 60 calendar months following the procedures in paragraph (h)(1) or (h)(2) of this AD, including all subparagraphs.
--- end quote ---

According to paragraph (i), there is no such thing as a sealed strut with standard forks.
Does this make Wag struts illegal? :rolleyes:
I just sign them off as sealed struts and that the forks must be inspected each 500 hours, up to 2000 hours total time (on the forks). I can't quote a paragraph on the struts though, since none really apply.

I personally don't like them, but I annual one with Wag struts installed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back