• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A Little to Much ????? on this site!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Denton

It seams to be way to much bickering on this site!!!

When someone new or old to this site ask a simple question (dumb or not) the others that have enough knowledge in that area, should answer his or her question to the best of there ability, and if necessary, look it up, or make a phone call, before posting.

In my own opinion:

“Have any of you guys installed Steve's Aircraft, vented booster brake modification (STC SA01516SE)? I hear it's a huge improvement to the stock brake system. Thanks.....Gary”

Do not mess with stock brakes, A set of NOS Pads were $900.00 last year!! If any parts are needed, Change out with Grove’s, and yes you must stay with the original master cylinder at this time.

“All,
Sorry for putting everyone through this again as I know it's been brought up in the past but, I've had a lot of lookers on my plane and many have asked what it requires to convert to front seat solo. Honestly, I like the backseat so I never bothered researching this or really sifting through threads concerning the topic. So I'm left to ask the question as I'm sure others have in the past, what are the requirements to change from rear seat to front seat solo? I think it has to do something with wing tanks?
Tedd”

Yes you can fly a J-3 from the rear or the front, as long as it is within CG.
Just stay in the rear seat, you will have more room, and actually have better visibility, and will not run a risk of a nose over!

“Three things were "working" against me on Saturday.
1. Van Sant's runway looks like a rollercoaster (nothing I can do about that.)
2. My running shoes seem to be a little too big to fit in where the rudder pedals are...
no problem with heel brakes 'cause my T-craft had them.
3. You can't see the instrument panel with a passenger in front of you. I spent more time looking
around my instructor's head than I did out side. (not a good thing at all.) I felt like I was fighting with it the entire time. Is there any tricks that anyone uses to minimize #2 and #3 above ? thanks
Jerry”

Find a shoe that works for you, be sure the front seat belt is tight enough to keep the slack, and the metal plate off of you feet. This is especially important flying solo!

As for seeing the instruments, Tell the rider to lean over to one side or the other so you can see what you need, this can be done by a slight push on one shoulder. You should take care of this during preflight, since instructing your passenger is as important if not more important than the rest of the preflight!

The Talk on this site about No need for the airspeed indicator, is just foolish!
You should have a working Airspeed indicator, along with all the other instruments that came installed from the factory, or installed later under STC or Field Approval!
If you fail to look at the airspeed indicator for a period of time, and only rely on feel,
You will find that over a period of time, you will be flying slower and slower, to the point of Stall!
Also for the flying by Feel, You can fly by feel only if the Trim is set at a determined point, and always at that point only!
Now, You should fly a Cub by Feel, with the Trim set for Cruise Flight, And Use The Airspeed Indicator for Reference throughout the landing. Maybe you look at it 20 times if you are new to flying a Cub, Maybe you only look once if you have a lot of time, But you Better Look. I have known a couple that put a Cub in the dirt, and they were AG Pilots with around 30,000hrs.
For the instructors out there that want to disable the airspeed indicator, Sporty’s sells little black suction cups for this!!!

“no wrench here...however i would also like to know if there is a way to go experimental with a j5 that is in pieces and storage....lacking the funds and paper work i would have a great time rebuilding this aircraft as an experimental....i understand the faa has tightened up the rules..... J5A”

Once a J5, always a J5. The only way to go Experimental, is to alter the aircraft from it’s original TC, such as installing the engine you are talking about. You can place the aircraft under Experimental, but will have to give the FAA a time line for the project, at which time the testing must be complete, and the parts will then be approved, and the aircraft will become the same J5 certified aircraft with the modification.
You can not go with the 51% rule on any certified aircraft, only if you build the plane, and parts, to look like a J5, but not from old stock parts, or PMA parts.

Remember!!! Everyone on this site needs to sit back and think a moment before posting!!

Try to help the new kid, Not run him off!!! Give him time, and he will come around.

None of the Old Cub Pilots Knew it all the first day!!

Good Luck, and remember, We Fly Cubs for Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back