• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A-65 In-Flight Engine Restart as Emergency Procedure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3C-65

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hypothetical question here for my fellow Cub enthusiast. Let’s say, hypothetically of course, somehow the mags were switched off inadvertently in flight. This could happen a number of ways, ignorant passenger, hand slips raising side window, etc.

Is there a standard procedure to attempt in-flight restart on an A-65 with no electrical?

I would imagine if altitude allowed, you could flip the mags back on and enter a shallow dive at low throttle setting to windmill the prop and restart the engine.

Is this an accurate presumption? I DO NOT plan on doing an in-flight restart EVER! Just curious what the consensus is from my friends here on chances of actually getting engine restarted.

I would think with the low compressions, the prop would windmill fairly easily and restart.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back