• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

9.5 Gallons of Poly Tone Paint For Sale!!!! Cub Yellow #143

johnhefley

Reaction score
Fellow Cub Nuts:

I goofed.

I ordered 10 gallons of Cub Yellow #143 for my J-3 based on the logbook entry from its last paint job.

Bottom line: Although I love the color, it's the WRONG color. :(

I used about 1/2 gallon to paint my newly covered rudder and lower door (both of which will be repainted in the current color, whatever it is).

Consolidated claims that 10 gallons is the amount required to paint an entire airplane.

My price for the paint was $931.50, plus shipping.

Any interest in this paint, anyone? Make me an offer!
John Hefley
[email protected]

JoeS

Reaction score
John,
Call Consolidated and see if its possible to add to the formula to get the color you want. It's almost impossible to ship unless you are a certified hazard material shipper.

Joe

johnhefley

Reaction score
Thanks, Joe.

I'll check with Consolidated to see what they have to say.

At this stage, my plan is to send off a sample of my wing fabric to Consolidated for a paint match. I suppose if they're able to offer a fix, that'd be great! And it'd save me a gob of time, trouble, and money. I'm not terribly optimistic, but you HAVE given me one more thing to check on. Thanks.
John

AOP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
John

I had to mix Polytone paint to get the color I wanted for my L-4. You have to mix paint, you can't use pigment like house paint, which means you have to buy at least a quart of whatever color you think will yield what you want. It mixes readily with a drill and mixing rod in a 5 gallon bucket. Go SLOWLY or it's one big mess. Do not mix near anything you don't want to paint. Then dip the finished paint with a throw away cup into fresh gallon paint cans from the hardware store. Smear a bit on the top of the can. Don't forget the reducer.

I have never dealt with Consolidated but Aircraft Technical was going to charge me double the normal cost to mix a gallon of their paint and would not guarantee the color. I figured I could screw up a gallon of paint as well as they could, so I did it myself.

Horsemutt

Reaction score
List it on Barnstormers and craigs list if you can't find someone here. I'd hate to see that much go to waste if you don't use it.

Like JoeS posted, see if consolidated will give you a recipe for the color you want using your existing paint.

johnhefley

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys! :)

I have copy/pasted the ad onto Craigslist for now, and will probably put it on Barnstormers tomorrow if I can't come up with another solution quickly.

It would indeed be a waste to see this paint go unused. As stated earlier, I quite like the color.

And although I'm recovering my right wing and touching up my lift struts this winter , the airplane DOES NOT need a complete teardown. Changing colors WOULD, however, entail a complete teardown.

The other obvious potential issue has to do with shipping hazmat. But as my friend is a former Poly-Fiber distributor, he may be able to help me out.

John

johnhefley

Reaction score
A quick update:

I've ripped the fabric off of my right wing for some minor repairs and recovering.

Based on the "un-faded" paint beneath the inspection covers, it looks like Cub Yellow #143 might have actually been applied to the plane when it was last painted. However, the exposed paint evolved into a color between Lock Haven Yellow and OEM Yellow. Weird, huh? And of course, it's different on the top vs. the bottom of the wing.

I'll probably apply OEM yellow to the bits that get painted this year (ie. right wing and a rejuvinated left wing - at least), as it will most closely match the metal stuff as well as the paint in the interior - saving me oodles of time. Jon at Consolidated has offered to help me sort this all out, which relieves the stress quite a bit.

jh

paulrobbins

Reaction score
paint on my 46 j3 somehow got to be 50% cub yellow and 50% lockhaven yellow-- I discovered this when I installed a wing tank and had to spot paint the wing -- you might order a quart of lockhaven yellow and mix some samples with cub yellow and lockhaven yellow to achieve the right color--you might be able use some or most of your paint and then sell the remainder