• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

46 J3 on eBay

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pipe...pagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101#ht_500wt_0

Piper J3 Cub Antique Aircraft LSA

Piper J3 Cub-1946 Antique Aircraft. The Model A Ford of airplanes. LSA Qualified.

Serial # 19579. 2865 hrs.Total Time. 194 hrs.SMOH on A75-8 Continental engine. Serial# 157284. Airplane rebuilt 1990 with new wing spars and covered with Ceconite 101 lifetime fabric. Fresh Annual Inspection, June 1st, 2008.

NEW sealed, heavy duty Univair Lift Struts(4) and Forks, replaced 2005. Eliminates the ongoing lift strut Airworthiness Directive and inspection. New MLG bungees 2002.

NEW Exhaust Stacks 2008. New Muffler 2004. Good main tires. Always hangered.

Auto Gas Supplimental Type Certificate.Engine overhauled with reground crank, new cam, pistons, etc.chromed clyinders std. size, OH carb, new oil pump assy, new cam and crank gears, new bearings etc. new engine mount and new Slick mag system 2002.

Super Fun Machine and a really nice example of an old standard. I am listing this fine plane for a non-eBay friend. Please address any questions to his email ([email protected]) for more details.

Please bid early and often. If no bids are received before 24 hrs. of auction end, plane will be withdrawn.

A non-refundable deposit of $500 via Paypal is due within 24 hrs. of auction end. Balance due within 30 days. Payment by Certified Check, Cashiers Check or Cash due at pickup. Ferrying or delivery is responsibility of buyer.

Join the tail-dragger fraternity--be a REAL pilot. Super easy to fly and maintain. Ideal for small flying club.

Thanks for looking. Good Luck bidding.

13ed_1.jpg

13ed_1.jpg

Mississippian

Reaction score
Anyone here know this cub? I have made contact with the owner via email and it is still available. With the given information what would be a value range for this aircraft? What other questions would need to be answered to more accurately determine a value? Thanks for your help!

P

Paul Smith

Hi,

There are as many questions that need to be answered as there are pilots, but the most important ones are the major items. First of all, 18 year old fabric? That tells me that nobody has been in there to have a good look in 18 frigging years! There's a heck of a lot you can't see through an inspection hole.

Second, who did the engine? There are 194 hours over 6 years, which is about right for one guy flying a couple of hours a week, which isn't bad. But an hour at a time means that there could be condensation damage on the inside, which is common. 75 HP is a plus.

I'd want to see the brakes.

I would put the down payment in an AOPA escrow account. You take a CUB mechanic along and be there when he does the prebuy. You get him to do an annual if you like what you see. Fly the airplane on THE SELLER'S insurance if you can. Fly it hands off, see where it takes you.

Walk around it, thump it, shake it, look long ways down the wing, look at the fabric, it should sound like a drum when you thump the wing fabric. If it doesn't, find out why.

Hopefully it has old oil in it. Drain a bit out of the BOTTOM of the sump. You're looking for grit, shiny stuff. Smell it, taste a bit of it. You're looking for a burnt or gasoline taste. If it's got a bad taste, I'd suspect the engine.

If everything is on the up and up, I would say probably you're no more than $30k because I don't like airplanes with old fabric. I would also like to see more time on the engine. A field overhaul by an unknown mechanic with around 200 hours could easily come apart on you. Are you sure he knew what he was doing?

hames57

Reaction score
Looks as good and sounds as good as the one I bought that was rusted out under the fabric, and had wing spar problelms. I've only added an additional 25 grand to my original purchase price and haven't touched the wings yet.

Just a word of caution.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, 18 year old fabric? That tells me that nobody has been in there to have a good look in 18 frigging years! There's a heck of a lot you can't see through an inspection hole.
Old covering in and of itself is no big deal. The Cub I learned to fly in and is now owned by my brother was recovered in 1969. It has always been hangared. The fabric punches as strong as the day it was installed. The longerons were well oiled and sealed in 1969 too. We've had someone INSIDE the fuselage in the past and there is no sign of rust through. The wings have been inspected internally with a camera.

BTW, this Cub was covered with Razorback fiberglas so I expect it will last another 40 years.

JimR

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rick and I were inside the fuselage about 6 months ago, replacing the trim cable, and the tubing looked fine then. The fabric is good as ever (punch testing isn't actually a requirement on Razorback because the fiberglass doesn't deteriorate with age.
JimC

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops, a note of clarification ---
I was talking about the same cub JimR was, not the one on E-bay.
JimC

Mississippian

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I first emailed the guy asking what his price was and he replied $36K. I responded with a long list of question and he responded with a price adjustment to $38K and asked me to call. :eek:

N

NC92012

Ask him why the N number was changed and you're probably up to 40K. Gary

Latest posts