• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

'46 J3 on eBay

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airc...020QQitemZ300169257092QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is the most complete Piper J3 cub you will find!! 2555TT 5 SMOH 5 SN Prop, always hangered

I have all of the original log books all invoices and pictures of this airplane on its maiden flight. This airplane was on the cover of the December 1977 Flying magazine.

Complete ground up restoration started in 2004 finished in July 2007. all new

All new cover, cables hardware,struts, metal spars, new seats, all new. The best cub you will find. Call me with any and all questions. 909-322-6416

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
I agree with you John, seems like the pictures do not match the ad...

Pictures tell a thousand words.

"Caveat Emptor"

Will

behindpropellers

Reaction score
Looks like a $15K airplane.

No doubt, some idiot will buy it for twice what it is worth. You ever wonder why there are 60K+ J-3's around... its the idiots that overpay for a project and then are in over their head.

Tim

longwinglover

Reaction score
I think that the beginning asking price is probably about the real value of this Cub. If somebody bids much higher, well it's their money. There is a J3 on barnstormers with an asking price of $65,000!

In my opinion there are several reasons that Cubs are being priced so high. The market is a big factor and this is a good thing for us that already own Cubs.

People want a J3 as it brings memories of simpler times and it truly is a classic. LSA's that are nearly the same as a J3 with current prices of 100k+. If you have 100k to spend why wouldn't you be happy with a freshly restored J3 at 60k?

To fully restore a J3 (I mean make it like new to last the next 50 years, not just recover) it will take 25 to 30k in parts and materials. It takes approximately 1000 man hours. If you pay a shop to do the work where the shop rate is $50 per hour, well, you do the math. Some of these rebuilds are being done for people that have the money, but not the time. I think some of these people get in over their head quickly (we have a just overhauled 7AC Champ on our field that the owner has 50k+ in the rebuild - and its not a show winner).

After 3 rebuilds - one being an Oshkosh winner and two Sentimental Journey winners - I have people approaching me to rebuild their Cubs. I've turned them down for several reasons namely that they can't afford to pay me enough to justify my time. If I do it for me, it's for fun and I get paid nothing.

Tim, I'll give you 15k for your Cub! ;D :eek:

John Scott

behindpropellers

Reaction score
I think that the beginning asking price is probably about the real value of this Cub. If somebody bids much higher, well it's their money. There is a J3 on barnstormers with an asking price of $65,000!

In my opinion there are several reasons that Cubs are being priced so high. The market is a big factor and this is a good thing for us that already own Cubs.

People want a J3 as it brings memories of simpler times and it truly is a classic. LSA's that are nearly the same as a J3 with current prices of 100k+. If you have 100k to spend why wouldn't you be happy with a freshly restored J3 at 60k?

To fully restore a J3 (I mean make it like new to last the next 50 years, not just recover) it will take 25 to 30k in parts and materials. It takes approximately 1000 man hours. If you pay a shop to do the work where the shop rate is $50 per hour, well, you do the math. Some of these rebuilds are being done for people that have the money, but not the time. I think some of these people get in over their head quickly (we have a just overhauled 7AC Champ on our field that the owner has 50k+ in the rebuild - and its not a show winner).

After 3 rebuilds - one being an Oshkosh winner and two Sentimental Journey winners - I have people approaching me to rebuild their Cubs. I've turned them down for several reasons namely that they can't afford to pay me enough to justify my time. If I do it for me, it's for fun and I get paid nothing.

Tim, I'll give you 15k for your Cub! ;D :eek:

John Scott
John-

If they can't take the time to paint the cowl, what else did they miss? Did they even blast the fusealge and make repairs? Or did they just take it apart and recover it. Ill have 50K in the J-5 when it is done, I think I have a few original parts in it though. I bought the project for $3500. Biggest mistake was not buying a 1994 supercub and going flying. Of course the $3500 was all I had when I was in college and I had more time than money, now I have no time or money!!

Tim

will767

Reaction score
Looks like the wing struts are still in primer.

J

Josh

Looks like the wing struts are still in primer.
I don't understand why someone would go through all the trouble to put new struts on, rig them and not paint them before the task? The least they could do is go out in town buy a couple of $5 rattle cans of School Bus Yellow and paint the suckers, AND the cowling; Then maybe they can emphasise the fact that this airplane was a Has-Been award winner. ;D

Latest posts