• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

'45 J3 on eBay

farm-tim

Reaction score
Are all cubs low time with no damage history?
Or is it only when there for sale.
Tim

ATCT

Reaction score
Mine was ground looped in 1946....62 years ago....but it still has a history lol. (fixed the cevane..spelling?...., replace right wind) I was also told it had 1800 hours TT...it was on the engine and not the airframe. Ohh well, 3600TT isnt bad for a 68 year old airplane :)

Clint

P

Paul Smith

Man, I don't know. Covered 28 years ago? There could be 4 cracked ribs and ant condos in the spars and you'd never know it until your wings started fluttering in the breeze. I think I'd pass.

Paul

David Johnson

Premium Member
Reaction score
Even with ants or termites in the spar, the wing could be airworthy as long as all the termites are holding hands.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I don't know. Covered 28 years ago? There could be 4 cracked ribs and ant condos in the spars and you'd never know it until your wings started fluttering in the breeze. I think I'd pass.

Paul
Metal spars according to the ad. My brother's Cub was covered in 1968-69 and the fabric is still good. It is a metal spar wing and we inspect it internally with a camera from time to time. He currently has the plan down for repair of a bent longeron (my fault....hit a hole while taxing), some clean-up of patches, wet sanding, new boot cowling, engine cowling and new overall paint. The 1969 fabric (Razorback Fiberglass) will be retained. We tested the ribstitch cord and it held up just fine. The plane will look like new when completed, but will still have 40 year old fabric. Of course, it has always been hangared too.

Just because the fabric is old doesn't mean a plane is down and out. ;D

JimR

longwinglover

Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong (happens occasionally ;D ) but isn't Razorback covering fiberglass cloth? If so, I don't think Razorback covering falls into quite the same catagory as "fabric" meaning cotton/ceconite/polyfiber etc i.e. the glass fiber will be impervious to deterioration.

John Scott

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong (happens occasionally ;D ) but isn't Razorback covering fiberglass cloth? If so, I don't think Razorback covering falls into quite the same catagory as "fabric" meaning cotton/ceconite/polyfiber etc i.e. the glass fiber will be impervious to deterioration.

John Scott
Cotton and Irish linen don't fall into the same category as Ceconite or Poly-Fiber (aka Stits) as they aren't a natural fiber or material. I would argue polyester fabrics are more akin to Razorback than cotton.

Razorback is a woven fabric cloth. It just happens to be made of fiberglass fibers instead of polyester fibers. It is not fiberglass sheets/bats made of compressed strands in the same manner as you think of fiberglass on a boat or Corvette or even a composite aircraft. It came in rolls just like cotton or a poly based fabric. It works the same as linen or cotton other than not requiring nitrate dope as the base coat. You are correct in the glass is indeed imprevious. The only thing polyesters (Stits/Poly-Fiber or Ceconite) is effected by is UV. There are lots of Poly covered airplanes with fabric over 25 years old. Given proper prep/finish, Poly-fiber says their fabric will last indefinitely, even outside. There are many case of good care and up keep on Grade A cotton cover jobs lasting for several decades. It won't last outside, but indoors with good silver it will.

JimR

P

Paul Smith

Ahem. Didn't quite catch the metal spars. Sorry. Mouse condos. Highly corrosive mouses. End results could easily be the same.

It's not the "covering" that would be in question. Necessarily. It's the fact that nobody has had a good look at the frame in 28 years. No damage can mean no damage since I bought it. No damage that I bothered to write up, anyway. Always hangared can mean the same thing. That's top bucks for a plane that is covered with question marks. Not everybody sticks a camera up in there to take a look, and even if they did, there's a lot you can miss with a camera. One of the best fabric men in the Confederate Air Force-excuse me-CAF impressed upon me years ago that 10 years is about the maximum you feel comfortable with a covering job, no matter what kind of cloth, especially if you don't know who inspected the airframe. He showed me things he could do with a heat gun that made wrinkles disappear and bent metal look new. Things you would never suspect until you took it down and eyeballed it.

But hey, knock yourself out. You could get lucky.
P

myj3

Reaction score
Hmmm. I never really thought about it until now, but wife and my fabric (Ceconite) are about the same age. I cannot afford to replace either and so reasonably constant care and attention are required. M-