• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

42 Clip Wing J3

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 42 Clip Wing may be coming up for sale in the near future at Wolf River (54M), near Collierville, TN. N-number is N1049. It was covered in poly in about 2000, has good looking seat upholstery. The airframe is roughly about 3000-3500 hours TT. The engine is a C85-12F stroker with Titan cylinders and about 40 hours since the conversion by Sam Jewell in Kennett, MO. Non-electric, no starter, but the starter shaft has been clipped for future addition of a lightweight starter. Muffler, tailpipe, and shrouding were replaced when the engine was redone. Prop looks like it is probably a stock Mac 1A90 off a Cessna 140, but I've not seen it with the skull cap off to check the diameter and pitch. Reason for possible sale is that one of the two owners is moving out of town. If anyone is interested and if they do decide to sell, JimR or I can put you in direct touch with the owners.
JimC

FLYUSBP

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but just had to say N1049 used to belong to me!! I owned her from 1990ish to 1997 or 8 when she was totally destroyed in a storm in Tucson Arizona (Ryan Field). Absolutely broke my heart! Best flying cub I ever flew. I flew that beauty everywhere!! I begged the insurance company to re-build, but they cut me a check. I couldn't find any other clip wings, so I bought a Super Cub with a 160...would have preferred to have 1049 back! Well fast forward almost 20 years. I've been cub-less since I started flying for a living.....I've been flying helicopters for a living and it's time for me to retire! I am now starting to cub shop!! Can't decide whether to have one built up to my requirements or shop on here/Barnstormers/TAP, etc. So looking forward to slowing down and getting back out there with you fellows!!! You'll be seeing lots of questions/comments from me as the last 20 years have zipped by...Looking forward to getting back in!!:D

jimmy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Always glad to see a fellow chopper pilot join the club. Lots of enthusiasts in Florida... and the Sun and Fun is coming up in April. I usually make the sojourn from north Georgia...spend a day or two. Might see you there always weather permitting.

FLYUSBP

Reaction score
The wife and I are going to try and make Sun and Fun...Hope to see you there! Really looking forward to getting back to my roots in GA!!

Dan