• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

337 needed for C85-8F

Hansolo

Reaction score
I need a copy of a 337 to install a C85-8F on a J3C-65. Also looking for a wood prop W72GK-46. Thanks

Mike

Renkou1

Reaction score
Know where you are coming from...however there is a factory letter floating around that says the flange shaft is a direct replacement part for the taper shaft.
Thought I'd be the first to say it.

Renkou1

Reaction score
Found service bulletin M47-16 rev.
State you will need to do 337 and states this is a normal overhaul operation. Crankshaft seal change mentioned as the only other part change required. A new data plate is available after market as I understand Contiental will not supply.

Fly_cubs

Reaction score
The best thing you can today for the paper work to put the C85-8F on any of the J3 airframes is to purchase the Paul Babcock STC. PM me for his number. $300 bucks I think- and it comes with a lot of extra information that is very helpful.

Hansolo

Reaction score
Just read the Babcock STC. It does not cover the C85-8F. I don't need a new data plate because the engine came as an F. I just want to hang it on my cub with the proper paperwork. Will look at the SB's later today.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
In its history my Cub has had a C-85-12 and now has a C-85-8F .. Both installed with log entries only..The legality of the engine installation has never been questioned by the three IAs I have had...although they have been very careful to check stuff like the prop and carb etc. What would happen if you "just do it" ?

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huston, your C85-12 was on the TCDS. No paperwork required for it.

Hansolo, you may need the aid of a DER to be legal.

Hansolo

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I thought that if I had a couple of approved 337's along with the Continental Overhaul Manual/SB's etc, I could get an inspector at the FSDO to sign it off. I know it's just a minor change but.... My kids will be flying her soon, so I just want it to be right. My friendly IA won't be around forever. By the time I hire a DER I could probably to the Stroker conversion... Arrrrg $$$

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find an approved 337 dated prior to the cutoff date in late 1955, it can be used as approved data for a new 337.

I can't advise that you do it, but most folks just mount the F's and truck on. My J3 ran an 85-12F for years, but that was back in the 60's and 70's when it wasn't an issue.

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to post here since yesterday but it keeps messing up. You need to do a 337 because you are overhauling the engine. You send that to OKC. OKC doesn't care. Continental views the parts as interchangeable.

I'll keep trying to post the ACs & SBs

.........Mike

Latest posts