• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

1946 J-3 with Shark 3 Amphibious included

Pilotdennis

Reaction score
I have a 1946 Piper J-3 with wind generator, 720 radio with mode "C" transponder for sale plane has less than 2300 total time. Engine has 138 since Major oerhaul. I have a set of "NEW" shark 3 Amphibious floats that go with it (never installed). I fly it almost every day so times will change. more3 photos on request. $49,000.00
Charles Bousfield
(386) 559-4040
[email protected]

Original 1

Reaction score
Charles: Which engine is on the aircraft? Are the float fittings weld on? GUP

[email protected]

Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of "NEW" shark 3 Amphibious floats that go with it (never installed).

Interesting; I saw a set of these amphib floats in FLA and they seem like a well built product for their intended application. Unfortunately, I don't see how you could legally install them on your J-3. Gary

cubber

Reaction score
Declare "Experimental" until the STC is available ??
or
Offer the airplane to the boys in Wisconsin to complete the STC approval process?

Unfortunately, with the current FAA, it is no doubt much quicker, and much cheaper, to purchase an existing Cub on floats and start enjoying the fun immediately.

turbofan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of experimental cubs out there to buy or build.......a certified j3 is kind of an oxymoron especially since so many unlicensed people are rebuilding them

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flight restrictions on a certified aircraft taken to any of the experimental categories are so restrictive that flying it for pleasure is out of the picture. No passengers, inspections and signed letters from the FAA for each individual flight, etc. It's nothing like building and flying an experimental plane. And once you take it experimental, you can't bring it back.

oldairplanenut

Reaction score
A guy on our field has a Pacer that Baumann Floats was using to get an STC for their 2100A floats. It had an experimental airworthiness certificate for the flight testing with the floats and went back to a standard airworthiness certificate when it was put back on wheels. As long as it conforms to the TC (passes a conformity inspection by the FAA), it can be brought back.

39-J3

Reaction score
A guy on our field has a Pacer that Baumann Floats was using to get an STC for their 2100A floats. It had an experimental airworthiness certificate for the flight testing with the floats and went back to a standard airworthiness certificate when it was put back on wheels. As long as it conforms to the TC (passes a conformity inspection by the FAA), it can be brought back.
There is a guy up our way that has a PA-11 on Baumann amphibs and he does the same thing. Experimental while on floats then back to standard while on wheels in the winter. Now that Baumann is out of business he is trying to get a one time approval for the floats.

Larry

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a full conformity check. Not practical for most. Also, while experimental, it cannot be legally flown with passengers or to any location other than designated test areas without first getting an inspection from and signoff by the FSDO before doing so. Take a GOOD look at the actual wording of the regs and restrictions before doing this. One of my friends had to buy a second airplane to use for regular flying after doing it. It sometimes takes him weeks to get an inspection and signoff prior to taking his experimental PA28 to Oshkosh each year.

If you want to stay legal, this ain't simple.

Pilotdennis

Reaction score
OK, sorry to set off an explosion....The New Shark floats are 1600's and not for the GA J-3.
I just figured to get rid of brand new at of $16,000.00 floats it was an easy way!
It isn't my cub it belongs to a friend and may be sold already WITHOUT THE FLOATS!
SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION I MAY HAVE CREATED FOR THIS A-65 j-3 cub.
I do have a Don's dream machine motor for mine though..... That should start some action!

Latest posts