• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

1946 J-3 Cub for Sale

jclear31

Reaction score
I am selling one of my J-3 Cubs to make room for another J-3 restoration. The first Cub is a 1946, metal spar wings, 85 HP Cont., metal prop. 3,500 hrs. TT airframe with 30 Hrs. on the restoration and SMOH on the engine. It was completely stripped and carefully sand blasted, tubing replaced where needed, linseed oiled inside, epoxy primed. New swing out engine mount, new cowling, gas tank, boot cowling, instrument panel with tach and oil pressure/temp gauge rebuilt, new glass all the way around, new sealed struts from univair, Cleveland wheels and brakes, new 8.00 x 6 tires, new bungees, new horiz. stabs, new jack screw and housing( trim actually works while flying!) and new trim cable, rebuilt master cylinders, new canvas seat slings and baggage comp. All new hardware and control cables. Wings have metal spars, new leading edges and several new ribs. Original logs!
The engine is a Cont. C-85-12F and was overhauled approx. 30 hrs. ago. It has very strong compression as you'd expect and it has only used 1 qt. of oil in 20 hrs. All the yellow tags are with the engine and you may talk to the IA mech. who did the overhaul if you wish.
The plane was covered with and painted using the Air Tech system.
Asking $39,000 and it will have a new annual in July. Come see and fly in Lincoln, Ne. Call Jeff Clausen 402-416-2425

Cub #2 is a 1939 model with wood spar wings. Engine is a Cont 85 HP with new exhaust system, approx. 400 hrs. SMOH, metal prop. Stock 8.00 x 4 wheels and brakes, PA-11 struts. It is an older restoration, 1987, Ceconite with Randolph dope, always hangered and in very nice shape. $29,500 Lincoln, Ne. Jeff Clausen 402-416-2425

captual

Reaction score
[size=10pt]SOLD (Cub #1) :D To me... The new Boy! Great Cub, Great Seller to work with. When he ever gets another one put together, than this is the kind of person (seller) that makes it all fun and easy! He has made this whole adventure of buying my first airplane a delight! I could not have done it all had I not come to the J3 forums. Now looking forward to many years of flying pleasure. Working with people like this seller makes flying and buying just plain fun![/size] ;D ;D ;D

D18GE

Reaction score
I've been following your adventure since you first posted here. Sounds like you did absolutely the right thing. No matter what you paid for that cub, you got a good deal.

Congratulations.

Rich

jcondon

Reaction score
Hello, do you still have cub #2 forsale? Looking for a nice looking cub thats straight and dependable. jack

jcondon

Reaction score
Hi, been mulling over your cub. I was hoping to purchase one a little less in price, but in same condition as yours but its fairly rare i guess these days' I do see a couple available at Controllers, one is a calif plane,? any corosion. I am leaning towards yours. A few questions. What value figures should this cub have say 3-4 yrs from now in this same shape with 300 more hrs? 2) Are you willing to give me some dual enough to solo. Probably 5-6 hrs? 2) My brother is willing to fly back with me are you willing to give him a hr or two dual? 3) I would like to do the 100hr insp and then the IA can sign it off. What do you say about these Questions? Thanks jack

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hours aren't particularly relevant to J3 value. Probably mire closely related to economy at the time.

bob turner

Reaction score
Not in the market for a Cub, of course, but dropped in anyway. I think the record for a J-3 was by a guy named Sam east of the Calif Bay area - 50 something. Captual's airplane sounds like an excellent deal for all parties.

Right now, a flying Cub is worth a minimum of 20 - and that is a dirtbag airplane with fabric issues, a runout engine, and rust - not to mention strange master cylinders and leaky brakes.

30 seems to be minimum for something you can actually fly for a while without doing major stuff. We have two airplanes where I live that sold for the high twenties, and both are awaiting major work at 100 bucks per shop hour.

All opinion

huston marlowe

Reaction score
At $40000 a restored J3 with C-85 or better is still the best value LSA on the market. You can pay more than twice that and get a starter motor and lights and even some sort of auto pilot...I'd rather have two Cubs.

NickTx

Reaction score
Agree about the 30k being a minimum for a "good" 65hp Cub that doesn't require any major work. But, I've seen "good" c85 Cubs go for 32-33k. If the buyer is off by a grand or two, that's OK.

fasken

Reaction score
Flew from GJT Grand Junction to KRKS Rock Springs Wyoming today for business.

11 gallons and it took 2 hours. It is a 5 hour drive with curves, cops and cows!

So at $35-40k it is worth it for the value of my time.

But hell what a fun two hours.

Latest posts