• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

1945 NAVY Cub - Must See!

Pilot0t7

JRWJR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cub recently restored to Navy NE-1 specs. One of a kind!
C-85 160 smoh, shielded ignition, metal wings, grove brakes.
New comm console, antenna and hi-cap battery. Climb performance
and flies true! $45,000 Allen, Texas (0T7 or TKI)

Solo.jpg

Solo.jpg

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat paint scheme. I think I saw that same Cub for sale on Barnstormers or TAP about 2 1/2 years ago.

Mike-

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Until this year I lived adjcent to Kittyhawk air park in Allen. Joe took me for a "ride" in his Taper Wing WACO. I watched his J3 and a friends "L4"get restored at Legend after a big wind upset them both about two years ago. It's just possible ? this Cub is the "L4" that might have been damaged again in a similar storm.

Yogi

Reaction score
This is the same Cub that was at Sentimental Journey in 1996, so your conjecture is entirely possible. The 1996 photos of this J3, in virtually the same paint configuration, are on file with the Cub Club.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Just looked it up by N number. It is the one I was thinking...Owned by Jim Wilson's (the aero photog) son. Probably repaired by Pat and Herman at Legend so it is GOOD !

Jwilsonphoto

Reaction score
The NE-1 received only minor damage in the skirmish with Joe's 70111 and was artfully repaired by the skilled folks at Legend. It's a steal, if I though I could sneak a fourth airplane into the barn,
[/img] I'd add it to my collection. This is one of those Cubs you could fly for a long time without doing much to it, or do a ground up restoration with the guys at Legend and have your Grand Champion trophy sitting next to Joe's. I love my Legend, but this airplane out climbs it without breaking a sweat.

Jim Wilson

P

Paul Smith

I hate to say this but I don't think that's an authentic paint scheme. In going over the records for the camouflage L-4 paint scheme, Clyde Smith said he found records from the factory that stated the NE-1 aircraft were all yellow with L-4 type windows. Nice airplane, but the colors just aren't correct apparently.

Paul

luvcubs

Reaction score
Here's an interesting display of a Navy NE-1 flight manual. It shows that essentially standard J-3's were NE-1's.

Meet the NE1

Another interesting photo from the Moffett Museum gallery shows what sure looks like a J-3 beneath the airship in the lower right corner of the photo with what appears to be the blue paint scheme used by the Moffett Airship squadron J-3's illustrated earlier in this thread.

http://www.moffettfieldmuseum.org/photos/showimg.php?file=/Blimps/inside_hangar1.jpg

newcub

Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the tail-wheel steering of the NE-1 is by a bungee cord. Would this be easier on the rudder horn than the present system of chain and spring? Why has this change been made?

P

Paul Smith

Yep, You're right, it does look like the same or at least a similar paint scheme. They left the factory yellow, though.

The tailwheel is similar to the type found on the L-4A. They had shorter bungees, but the B model went to springs because the bungees didn't hold up on rough landing strips. This one however, appears to have a good bit longer spring than the L-4.

The only problem with the original L-4 steering tailwheel with springs or bungees, is that it's not full castering. In other words, when you're pushing it, you have to steer it with the rudder or lift the tail and swing it around.

Paul

Latest posts