• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

1940 NC33242 finally flies again! But.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Well,
Tore the engine down on NC33242 and done a complete major overhaul. Everything checked, down correctly for the most part. Crankshaft was inspected and ground .010/.010 by a local race shop, everything was checked perfect. Case went to ECI, camshaft yellow tagged, cylinders came off another. Engine with a bad prop strike but no cylinder damage....they have 160 hours since they were overhauled by Harrison with new pistons,etc. I went thru them myself again, disassembled, stripped, lapped valves, dye checked all the rocker shaft bosses, honed, measured, etc....everything checked perfect. Installed a new oil pump and all that. New pressure valve(spring & piston), bla,bla,bla. I did it right....however, on my first test flight the other day, temp was about 50 degrees outside. Oil pressure started out around 40psi. The longer I flew the higher the oil temp got until it finally stabilized at around 210ish!!!! Yes, it is an open cowl with epgood eyebrows. I've never seen the temp rise above 180 or so in the hot summer heat in any open cowl cub. Also, my oil pressure stabilized at 25psi at 210 degrees. I know how to bring the pressure up and since it was still holding 25 or no more then a needle width below at hot idle after landing I'm not too concerned about that cause I didn't put any washers betwee the cap and spring and I got the light spring I think. However im very concerned with the oil temp. I would expect to see it a little hight for the first few hours but not that high in 45-55 degree outside temps. I was running her a little hard for break-in reasons(2200-2300 @ 2500msl). I did remove and checked the gauge and it is working accurately. I'm running straight Aeroshell 80 mineral oil. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone in the eastern foothills ever seen 210 on an A65 J3? I will edit with pics in a few minutes is I can remember my password to log in from my phone, lol.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back