J3 Cub Forum > Cub Discussions > Cub Talk > cross-wind landings

Help Support J3 Cub by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #61
jimrice
Supporting Member
J3_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Glenn, I think an occasional day like that is good for us. Keeps us sharp and on our toes so we don't get complacent. Kinda like exercise, not always fun, but needed.

1994 Van's RV-4 N4WJ (Flying)
US Army Retired (still working to pay for flying)

EAA Member
AOPA Member
NRA LIFE Member
Stick-n-RudderAviator Likes This 
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #62
JimC
Supporting Member
J3_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 817

I get enough excercise holding the sofa down so it can't escape.

People Like This 
Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #63
Rick Rice

Liked 63 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 60

For what it's worth, I wheel land a Stearman in a cross wind on pavement, I'll 3-point it on grass with a cross wind, and I'll 3-point a Cub in a cross wind on grass or pavement. Probably speaks more to my inadequacy as a pilot, but with hundreds of Stearman landings on pavement, it can still be a beast if there's even a hint of drift at touchdown. Cubs on the other hand, even on pavement, are much more tolerant of a tiny little bit of drift on touch down.

The ability to put only one wheel on the ground, while still flying, versus putting all 3 down simultaneously in a full-stalled condition makes it much easier to stay aligned with the runway if the airplane had a little sideways movement at the point of touchdown. Once the wheel is rolling on the pavement, drift is no longer an issue, so from that point on, it's a normal landing.

My point is that different planes and skill levels call for different techniques. My dad ALWAYS 3-pointed a Stearman, without regard to wind. I'm not good enough to do that in a Stearman. I've survived enough bad X-wind 3-point landings in a Stearman to know what to do to reduce the potential for a disaster. In a Cub, because it's an entirely different critter, I'm comfortable leaning the wing down as far as it needs to go to keep it straight, while putting the tailwheel on the ground at the same time as the main wheel. I'm probably no better at stopping all the drift in the Cub than I am in the Stearman, but the Cub is much more forgiving of my mistakes.

Oddly enough, a Pitts, in my opinion, is much easier to land on pavement in a X-wind than a Stearman. Why? Because a Pitts has tremendous aileron authority and it's incredibly responsive, and, it's not nearly as top-heavy as a Stearman. Means the Pitts makes it easier to make almost instantaneous, proportional responses to the wind, versus the Stearman. Because it has a lower center of gravity than a Stearman, a Pitts might be a little bit more tolerant of drift at touchdown than a Stearman, but not by much. If there's much drift at all in a Pitts, on pavement, it's going to be a WILD ride. What works in the Pitts' favor, is that it's SO responsive, it's easier to be confident of touching down in near perfect alignment with the runway, even in 3-point attitude on pavement in a crosswind.

Go Back   J3 Cub Forum > Cub Discussions > Cub Talk