J3 Cub Forum > Cub Discussions > Cub Talk > Cubs2Oshkosh

Help Support J3 Cub by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #31
Cub-Deacon
Supporting Member
J3_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default In line flight

I never saw in your video the plane that you were following. I had a hard time myself keeping sight of the guy in front of me due to water drops on inside of windshield. Stayed with him tho! I guess some of the guys in the front of the parade had difficulty because they caught up with guy they were following and had to "S" turn for sepreation.

Great video BTW. Brings back great memories!!
Thanks for sharing

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
flying-gamer

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I lost sight of the guy in front of me before Fond du Lac. I only have a C-65, and I kept the top half of the door open. I ran it right below red line the whole way, so *shrug*.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
Stick-n-RudderAviator

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Deacon View Post
I had a hard time myself keeping sight of the guy in front of me . . . Stayed with him tho! I guess some of the guys in the front of the parade had difficulty because they caught up with guy they were following and had to "S" turn for separation.

Hi Cub-Deacon,
Iíd be curious as to what items were discussed during the pre-flight briefing. Seems like the issues youíve mentioned wouldíve been easily anticipated given the large number of Cubs and widely varying piloting capabilities.
* How do you handle / avoid the inevitable accordion scenario?
* Gotía be one or two peeps whos vision isnít quite up to maintaining contact with preceding Cub?
* I suppose that for a variety of reasons any sort of formation flight was out of the question.

Ha, Herding cats comes to mind!

Tom C.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
flying-gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick-n-RudderAviator View Post
Hi Cub-Deacon,
I’d be curious as to what items were discussed during the pre-flight briefing. Seems like the issues you’ve mentioned would’ve been easily anticipated given the large number of Cubs and widely varying piloting capabilities.
* Got’a be one or two peeps whos vision isn’t quite up to maintaining contact with preceding Cub?
* I suppose that for a variety of reasons any sort of formation flight was out of the question.

This was my only issue with the event at all. I had to miss the pilot briefing on Saturday due to a wedding, and Steve just kept telling me not to worry about it and to follow the Cub in front of me. At one point, I overheard Steve on the phone with either EAA or ATC and reminding them that some Cubs would be NORDO. We did have an assigned frequency, but I heard nothing other than the lead Cub talking with the tower. As soon as I took off, I saw that I was already losing sight of the Cub in front of me, so I punched direct KOSH into Foreflight just in case. While I still had sight of him, we were flying that direct route. So once I lost sight of him, I just flew that route and maintained altitude, keeping an eye out, and made a straight-in approach for 36L. I believe the Cub before the one I was following had an aborted takeoff which created a bigger spacing. I tried glancing out the window behind me to see if people were near, but I either didn't have the angle or had a good lead ahead of the next person.

We took off with barely VFR conditions, and so I'd have liked a briefing that covered:
* Planned route including altitude and intended cruise speed
* Emergency procedures
* Lost visual contact with the aircraft ahead of you
* Checkpoints to call

As I ran through scenarios en route, I considered breaking off and flying the Fisk arrival, but I also knew that could throw off anyone behind me.
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #35
dstates

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was there for the safety briefing and was expecting more details. We did not have a preselected lead pilot or a preselected altitude. A speed of 75 was mentioned, but I suggested that not all Cubs can do that. The briefing was brief. I think more planning would have been very beneficial. I wasn't at the 75th anniversary Cubs2Oshkosh, so I cannot compare to that one. If you watch the Cessna's to Oshkosh video on youtube on the Flight Chops channel, the safety briefing was nothing like that. Of course, they were flying formations of 3 so it would be more complicated. It just seemed informal since it was just Cubs.

There was an aborted takeoff that put a gap in the line (probably about the 15th in line).

I was able to see 3-5 Cubs in line in front of me for most of the flight. The Cub in front of me varied altitude the whole way. I stayed at 1800-2000 the whole flight. Every time the plane in front of me would climb back up I had to slow down. There was also a ground loop on 36L by one of the Cub's at OSH, but must not have been major as they cleared the runway quickly (plus 36R was available).

Overall the event at Hartford was great. I wish I would have been able to get there on Friday to get to know more Cub guys/gals.

All in all, it was a great time and I would do it again.

DS
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #36
Cub-Deacon
Supporting Member
J3_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick-n-RudderAviator View Post
Hi Cub-Deacon,
Iíd be curious as to what items were discussed during the pre-flight briefing.
* Gotía be one or two peeps whos vision isnít quite up to maintaining contact with preceding Cub?

Tom C.
I would hate to second guess the organizer/briefer. Everything except tower freq. was covered but not emphasized. A lot of "common sense" was taken for granted but seemed to be lacking at times by some. I would guess that after the aborted takeoff and subsequent brief wait to see outcome might have put everyone following into a firewalled throttle situation trying to catch up. I was firewalled in my A-65. It was fun and would do it again in a heartbeat!! Met some very nice folks
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #37
grumman41

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where was the majority of the Cubs parked? I noticed a few in Vintage but didnt really see a whole lot of J3's this year. I was hoping to see some early J3s.

Kevin

Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #38
flying-gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumman41 View Post
Where was the majority of the Cubs parked? I noticed a few in Vintage but didnt really see a whole lot of J3's this year. I was hoping to see some early J3s.
They were parked started straight out from the Hangar Cafe. By Wednesday or Thursday, it seemed like half of us were gone. When I departed Saturday morning, the Cubs only accounted for about 1/3 of the aircraft in our rows it seemed.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #39
grumman41

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, I was there from Sunday until Saturday (drove in) but didn't notice many in that area. Did get a chance to admire the workmanship on the PA11 in the "show area". Very nice engine details......I took some pictures but wished I could take the cowl off for further inspection.

Kevin

Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #40
flyhuntfish

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My thoughts on the 80th Cubs2OSH...
The organizers did a decent job and we were taken care of at HXF. The pre-registration process was a bit confusing and could have had more info available but several factors led to that I was not involved enough to comment more on that.
The briefing covered the main points including direct routing, available runways OSH, and speed was discussed but a little ambiguous as the first suggested speed was "optimistic". Altitude was not discussed in detail but assumed to be 800-1000 AGL.
I was the 2nd Cub in the "camping with plane" group. The weather (marginal VFR @ takeoff and the inversion layer south of FondDuLac) made it interesting. We were VFR over the top @ 1000 agl with windmills poking through the clouds. The aborted takeoff surely contributed to the "rubber banding" that occurred at FondDuLac. While this inevitable effect was mentioned at the briefing, the solution mentioned was watch and follow the plane in front of you and try to maintain spacing. I was able to maintain visual contact with the Cub directly in front of me all the time, 2 in front of me part of the time, and an occasional glimpse of the 3rd infront of me. This varied widely with the less than CAVU conditions. A non-participating line cutter nearly messed us up during the approach into OSH but we prevailed with a few planes S turning to buy time. The ground loop happened 2 airplanes in front of me. Deacon (in front of me) landed long and I slipped in short to give the ladies room to collect their bearings and clear the runway. I don't believe the Cub behind me was affected. Once taxiing at OSH, the ground personnel did a great job getting us parked. I left Thursday morning and by then our "Cub" ranks had thinned considerably and had been backfilled with non-Cub airplanes.
While I'm unaware of the "rift", I would say weather played a major role in the low attendance. I was the first to land at HXF Saturday and I didn't touch down until 1:07pm. Weather also kept early attendance down at OSH but it recovered nicely. I would add also that to attend an event like this in a slow, fuel limited airplane requires an incredible combination of time, good weather, and willing participants. I am glad it all came together for the people who were able to attend and I applaud everyone for their efforts.
I made new friends, had a great time, and no regrets. I just wish the weather had cooperated better to see what could have better number-wise.

People Like This 

Go Back   J3 Cub Forum > Cub Discussions > Cub Talk